Over 50 years after the heralded unveiling of the 550 Spyder, the dream lives on in the RW Spyder by Rock West Racing.
Porsche 550 Spyder
The original 550 is a legendary sports car with a great racing history. The Spyder race cars won at such famous tracks such as Le Mans, Monza, Reims and Nurburgring, including dominant 1-2-3-4 victories. These machines were awesome performers in their day and today still represent great handling and speed.
At Rock West Racing, we believe that if you are going to build a new legend, you should make every effort to live up to the history of your inspiration. We have worked hard to do just that.
- This outstanding component car, the RW Spyder, is faithful to the spirit of the original design. With meticulous detailing leveraged from the many cars built by Thunder Ranch, and using traditional hand-fabricated 3″ diameter steel tube frame to the original mid-engine concept, we’ve created our own unique racing car, not just another replica car.
- Authenticity and attention to detail is highlighted in this machine, from the properly located polished aluminum fuel filler and accurate low-back bucket seats, to the rear cooling gills on the deck.
Order your RW Spyder today in our Store as a Builder, Deluxe or Roller Kit.
Own, Build and Drive a legend – RW Spyder from Rock West Racing!
Porsche, 550, and 550 Spyder are trademarks owned by Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft. Porsche is not affiliated with Rock West Racing.
The RW Spyder is available in two configurations. One is the narrow body type as seen on the first Spyders and only accepts 5.5”X15” wheels in the rear (max). The other body type is the “wide” as used on the later Spyders (“A” model) and can accommodate 6”X16” wheels in the front and 7”X16” wheels in the rear. We recommend maximum tire size for the wide body is 205/55X16 in front and 255/50X16 on the rear. Clients may choose either Spyder body type.
- Lightweight fiberglass body integrated with a design specific tubular steel chassis
- Chassis is patterned after that of the original Spyders using 3” diameter tubes as longitudinal chassis rails and rectangular tube cross-members. The front and rear torsion suspension units are welded integral to the chassis
- Designed to use VW type 1 engine, type 1 swing-axle transaxle and VW torsion arm beam front suspension
- Type 1 transaxle must be modified for driving in a mid-engine configuration by flipping the ring gear from the original side of the differential to the opposite side.
- Rear suspension is designed specifically for the Spyder chassis, consisting of custom built torsion tube, spring plates and ride-height adjusters. Body size and contours very similar to the original Porsche 550 Spyder
- Height to windscreen: 40” | 101cm
- Height of Body at firewall: 32” | 81cm
- Length: 140” | 355cm
- Width: 61” | 155cm
- Wheel base: 84” | 213cm
- Track – front & rear: 52” | 132cm
- Dry weight: 1,350 lbs | 591kg
- Steering: Left-hand std (right-hand optional)
Intended for those individuals who wish to build a car with their own components, expertise and innovation.
Builder Kit includes:
- Fiberglass body integrated to the steel chassis
- Chassis includes:
- Pedal assembly mount
- E-brake lever mount and cable tubes,
- Shift lever mount
- Reconditioned beam front suspension with ride height adjusters, new spindles, ball joints, bearings and seals
- New steering box, tie rods and ball joints
- Rear torsions bars, bushings, spring plates with ride height adjusters
- Steering column (installed)
- Doors, rear deck lid and hood are fitted, hinged, and latched. Release mechanisms and cables installed.
- Molding part lines and flashings are removed.
- Hole drilling for switches, lights, gauges, etc.
These features are available as upgrades, along with other options.
Intended for those who desire to build their car without having to source components themselves and who would also like to take advantage of some pre-fitting by the Rock West Racing factory.
Deluxe Kit includes:
- Builder Kit
- Wire Harness
- Gauge set: era recreations made by VDO
- Switches and switch knobs: black or ivory
- Steering wheel: wood-rimmed aluminum
- Steering wheel adapter and horn button
- Windshield assembly
- Wiper assembly and motor
- Mirrors driver side and center mirror
- Engine grill and gaskets: 2 sets
- Head light assembly with clear lenses
- Head lamp and bulb
- Front signal light assemblies
- Rear tail light assemblies
- License plate light assembly
- License plate mounting bracket
- Pedal assembly: VW type
- Control cables: throttle, e-brakes
- Shift assembly: cable type
- E-brake lever assembly
- Throttle cable bracket
- Fuel tank with custom fuel cap, center fill position
- Seats: upholstered in black, tan, or red vinyl
- Seat belts (lap only)
- Carpet set: square weave German wool with edge binding. Charcoal, red or tan (standard)
Not included in the standard price, but available as options:
- Wheel bearings
- Brake system
- Fuel delivery system: pump, lines, fittings
- Engine and ancillary equipment
- Body/paint work
Intended for those with time constraints, limited space, or limited technical resources for the building process. The Roller starts as the standard Deluxe Kit. The client then selects the options and/or modifications desired to configure their car. When this process is complete, Rock West Racing assembles and finishes the roller as specified. All that remains for the client to do is install their engine, fill the fluids, add a battery, and go.
Roller Kit includes:
- Deluxe Kit
- Additional standard components
- Car assembly hardware, hydraulic lines, fuel lines, etc.
- Transaxle – refurbished VW type 1 (Rancho Performance Transaxles)
- Brakes – VW disc brakes, 4 wheel, 4 bolt lug pattern, operational
- Wheels – Super Beetle four bolt, painted silver
- Tires – Pirelli P4 radial black wall
- Body work and paint prep
- Body Paint, two part system – color base and clear top coat, wet sanded and polished. Standard color is silver. Underbody and wheel wells receive black undercoating and trunk is detailed in satin black paint
- Car assembly
Product Data Sheet
Please note that pricing has changed and is dependent up the options selected for your unique vehicle.
RW Spyder Data Sheet