Building on the remarkable racing achievements of the 550 Spyder, Porsche’s 718 RSK model refined its predecessor’s design and engineering even further, evolving to stay competitive and keep pace with changing race regulations While improving on the setup of the Spyder by being lower and lighter and having better handling, it used the same mid-mounted engine, the 142hp 1.5-liter Type 547/3 quad-cam engine introduced with the 550A Spyder.
Although the RSK’s debut at the 1957 24 Hours of Le Mans was marred by an accident, in the following year it went on to win both First-in-Class and Third overall. The RSK also took the European Hill Climb Championship in both ‘58 and ‘59 and won the Targa Florio in 1959. During this time period, there was a suspension switch from swing axles to wishbone control arms. Also, a center-seat configuration was developed that could be quickly converted to a two-seat, left-hand drive setup, depending on the race venue. Continue reading From the 718 RSK to the RW RSK
Part 3: Overview of our Tribute Car Designs
Here’s Part 2: Looking Ahead to 2015
This has been a wild and crazy year for us at Rock West Racing. As a new business getting off the ground, there have been a lot of challenges this year, but we are excited about all the work that has been accomplished including the following:
- Completed tooling on RW Speedster, RW Spyder, and RW RSK,
- Designed and started tooling on the RW Spyder RS, our own thoroughly modern car inspired by Porsche’s classic 550 Spyder,
- Completed customer projects left unfinished by the previous custodians,
- Completed multiple service jobs,
- Began and worked multiple customer projects,
- Produced multiple kit parts for inventory, including Speedsters, Spyders, GTSs and RSKs kits,
- Expanded our facilities and added new equipment,
- Hired and trained new staff, and
- Began development of an electric version of our Speedster in collaboration with EV West.
And we have so much more to look forward too! With excellent momentum going into 2015, we look forward to:
- Completing the build of multiple kits in inventory for off-the-shelf sales,
- Building our parts offering, and completing the online store, and
- Finishing demo models for all our cars so you can test drive all 5 kits.
Thanks for keeping up with us. We want to help you build your dream car, so contact us today!
Call us at 610-444-1006!
Part II: Spyder Chassis and RSK. Another installment in our three part series on customer projects in process.
Just in case you didn’t know, Rock West Racing offers service for your Spyders, Speedsters and RSKs. Check out our Replica Car Service page for more information.